Each and every start up has their own unique qualities which setup them apart from others; it provides an edge over other competitors. This unique quality or identifying mark is a ‘Brand’ of that start up, creating a strong brand can take your business to unimaginable heights, however; this brand need to be protected which is popularly known as ‘Brand protection’. In simple words Brand Protection is “the act of preventing someone from illegally making and selling a product using a brand name owned by another company”, meaning thereby no one should be allowed to take profit or advantage on the other’s name.‘Trademark registration’ is a method or a way of brand protection.
Trademark is “any name, symbol, figure, letter, word, or mark adopted and by a manufacturer of merchant in order to designate specific good and to distinguish them from those manufactured or sold by others”. It is a proprietary and is usually registered with the Patent and Trademark Registration office of India to assure its exclusive use by its owner or licensee. Hence, where a consumer recognises a particular product only by any special symbol or a name associated to the protected it becomes very necessary to get that name or special symbol etc protected and prevent the other competitors from misusing that name, all this is govern through trademark law 1999.
Following are the reasons in detail that why every start up should get their brand protected.
- Trademark Registrationis an effective communication tool: – In a single brand or logo, trademarks can convey intellectual and emotional attributes and messages about you, and your company’s reputation, products and services, it means a trademark need not be a word, a logo or a design could be sufficient to set you apart from others. It avoids a hurdle of language, as it could be written in different languages at different place however; a logo can be universally recognised all over the word without any language barrier.
- Trademarks make it easy for customers to find you. In a market full of competitors dealing in same product and on almost similar price, Trademark Registrations provided different identity to your product, they are an efficient commercial communication tool to capture customer attention and make your business, products and services stand out.
Customers viewing a trademark immediately know who they are dealing with, the reputation of your business and are less likely to look for alternatives. A brand could be the critical factor in driving a customer’s purchase decision.
- Trademarks allow business to effectively utilize the Internet and social media: – In a world of internet, customers search for your brand on various search engine or social media platform, when looking for your products and services, which will lead to higher traffic on a website or social media platform which will subsequently develop into higher rankings, bringing even more traffic, more customers and more brand recognition.
- Trademarks are a valuable asset: – Value is directly proportional to reputation, the higher the reputation the more value your RegisteredTrademark will hold. The more your business reputation grows, the more valuable your brand will be.
It is an intangible asset and provides value beyond your core business. Trademarks can lead the way for expansion from one industry to another.
- Trademarks never expire: –Duration of Trademark Registration in India is well defined under the Trade Mark Act, 1999. Section 25 of the 1999 Act provides that registration of a Trade Mark shall be for a period of 10 years, renewable for another period of 10 years from the date of expiration of the original registration or the last renewal of registration, subject to payment of renewal fees and application made in prescribed manner.However, what is written above is law which need to be complied with, but one can make Trademark as a lifetime asset because Law does not prohibit the applicant to renew its life. Therefore, we can also say that life or duration if Trade Mark is infinite subject to the fulfilment of certain conditions including renewal fees.Therefore, it is usually said that trademarks are ageless and perpetual. Legally, no restrictions exist as to the limitation of the registration of a trademark over the period of time and its continual renewals.
In this modern time with daily increase in cut throat competition it becomes very necessary to get brand protection done; trade mark registration will prevent the misuse of your brand by others. You can visit Company Vakil for proper Legal guidance and get you Trademark Registered with the help of their Highly Expert Trademark Consultants.